Jamaican Easter Spice Bun (Yeast)

Easter is one of my favorite holidays partially due to the delicious food available. But everyone favorite is the Easter Bun. The Jamaican Easter Bun is a Spinoff of the Hot Cross Bun. Growing up my favorite was the small spice bun without raisin or mixed peels. This recipe can be used to make both. If you need to make the smaller spice bun simply divide the dough into 4 oz pieces and shape like dinner rolls.


Ingredients
4 cups flour (All Purpose, but Bread Flour preferably)
1 cup  brown sugar (use 1/2 cup for a less sweet bun)
2 tablespoons yeast
1/4 cup  melted butter
1 teaspoons salt
1 tbsp mixed spice (pumpkin pie spice can be used)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 egg
 1 cup  water, warm (or some strong stout)
1/4 cup browning
1 cup candied fruit (mixed peel, raisins puree some if you like)
Simple syrup or honey

Directions



  • 1. In large bowl, stir 1 1/2  cups of the flour, the sugar, salt,  cinnamon, nutmeg and yeast until well mixed. Add egg, almond, vanilla, butter, browning and warm water. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle. Fold in candied fruits.

    • 2. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy.  It is important to knead properly to get the nice bun texture. Grease large bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 40 to 60 minutes or until dough has doubled in size. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
    • 3. Grease bottoms and sides of two 8x4-inch or 9x5-inch loaf pans with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
    • 4. Gently push fist into dough to deflate. Divide dough in half. Flatten each half with hands or rolling pin into 18x9-inch rectangle on lightly floured surface. Roll dough up tightly, beginning at 9-inch side. Press with thumbs to seal after each turn. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Pinch each end of roll to seal. Fold ends under loaf. Place seam side down in pan. Brush loaves lightly with butter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 35 to 50 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
    • 5. Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to325°F.
    • 6. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire rack. Brush loaves with Simple Syrup or honey; cool.


    Makes 16 servings




    11 comments:

    1. Forgot to dissolve yeast in a little warm water and add to mixture.
      I will be making the buns and will let you know how it turns out.
      This recipe is like my Dad but I lost it. Thanks for sharing Jean

      ReplyDelete
    2. What does the egg do in this recipe? What could I substitue for eggs? I'm allergic to them.

      ReplyDelete
    3. If we’ve never made this, we’re going to follow you. It’s super important to proof the yeast.... I knew I should have followed my gut when you said mix it with dry ingredients. This recipe is perfect IF you proof yeast for 10 minutes in the water and a little of the sugar.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am making it now and decided to alter the recipe and proof the yeast first; my gut feeling as well. Thanks for sharing you proved that i was on the right track!

        Delete
    4. Quick rise yeast works without proofing.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Tried making this twice now and the dough seems to be extremely sticky and gooey for some reason, my personal feeling is using the egg in the recipe.
      Has anyone else had any issues and was wondering if the egg is absolutely necessary?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I made the recipe forgetting to add the eggs; it turned out great. Planning to try it again with the eggs. I was wondering if the 2 tablespoons of yeast was a typo. I halved the recipe and used only one packet. It worked.

        Delete
      2. I don't think the egg is necessary, it's more like a quick bread not a cake. Egg is used mainly as a binding and leavening agent, for this recipe the gluten in the flour (especially if you are using bread flour, which has a higher gluten content) and the yeast is enough for that. I skipped the egg and Browning and it came out fine. I did however caramelize the 1/2 cup of brown sugar I used with about 2-2.5 tbls of Guinness extra stout to create a Browning effect. When it was finished, I glazed it with butter (ghee) then honey. It came out moist and satisfying.

        I would also add:
        Don't skimp on the mixed spice, use more than you think you need

        Fold the fruit into the dry flour before wetting

        I ended up using a 1/2 cup or so more liquid

        I originally intended to use only one packet of yeast (2 1/4 tsp) but got nervous after simply adding the instant yeast to the dry ingredients and not see any changes (soft/pliable) in the dough. So I dissolved a second packet of instant yeast in warm water and used it to finish knead the dough as the original 1cup wasn't enough. So I ENDED UP USing more yeast than the recipe calls for. I suspect I could have used less and it would still be fine

        Delete